Colorado Music Business Organization Board of Directors Meeting
Sunday, November 1, 2020 – 7:00 p.m.
Call to Order at 7:10 p.m.
Present: Barb Dye, David Barber, Lee Bagby, Annette Cannon, Tracey Chirhart, Johnnie Johnson, Jamie Krutz, Sheena Morgan, Alex Teitz, and Angela Whaley
Absent: Clark Hagan
Consideration and Approval of the Minutes of October 4, 2020: Johnnie so moved, Lee seconded. Approved.
Oct. Membership: $ 30.00 (cash paid)
Oct. Memberships: $ 205.00 (PayPal)
Interest on Savings: $ .02 (October 31, 2020)
Total: $ 235.02
Bank Fees for Oct. $ 2.00 ($2 for checking)
PayPal charges: $ 3.50 (for membership charges)
Express Yourself: $ 324.00 (for face masks with COMBO logo)
Facebook ads: $ 26.00 (for Oct. 26th meeting with Brittney Walker)
Possibility Promotion: $ 70.00 (SSL certificate for one year)
Mailchimp for Oct. $ 31.28 (e-mail list: $30 + $1.28 local tax)
Total: $ 456.78
Checking Balance: $ 1,342.51 (as of 10/31/20)
Savings Balance: $ 1,823.19 (as of 10/31/20)
PayPal Balance: $ 663.76 (as of 10/31/20)
Grand Total: $ 3,829.46
Current Paid Members: 23 (15 individual, 5 businesses, and 3 bands)
Individual: Joe Chinnici (Six Foot Joe)
Band: Runaway Express (Jim Ratts); Deadly Alliance;
Business: AirShow Mastering
Sheena reported that these members have not renewed for October yet: None (Rudy Grant was due but he paid for 3 years in advance!)
Sheena reported that the following memberships are up for renewal in November: None
(Please note that the board voted at the March meeting to suspend renewal notices until a later date due to the coronavirus shut down. These names are for reference only.).
Membership “Welcome Surveys”: Sheena reported that we received no new surveys in October.
Someone noticed that “Miles Martin” had listed on his Facebook page that he “worked” for COMBO. So Barb sent a PM to Miles asking about that. He’s not yet responded.
Bar code requests: None
a. November 16, 2020: While we sort of planned a “Songwriters Showcase” via Zoom or on Facebook, Barb felt this was something we were not ready to handle yet technology-wise. We might think about asking bands to submit their music videos and to do something with them. Rob Roper had suggested having a program on the various streaming formats on the net so we will go with that. Names suggested for potential speakers were Chuck Hughes, Steve Glotzer, and Neil Zimmerman (who can also speak as to his experience with Taxi). Barb will contact them.
b. December 2020: The pandemic is still raging. Consider doing a Netflix Party for a COMBO music watch party? Maybe ask Ben Makinen about his “Jazz Town” documentary. Discussion: TBD at the December board meeting.
Current Email Subscribers: David reported that, as of 11/01/20, COMBO has 2,561 subscribers which is down from the 2,566 reported at the 10/04/20 Board Meeting. As of the 10/29/20 newsletter, we had 17% opens and 4% click thrus.
Twitter Account Followers: David reported that, as of 11/01/20, COMBO has 7,720 followers which is down from 7,732 followers as of the 10/04/20 report.
Facebook Account Activity: David reported that, as of 11/01/20, COMBO received 1,475 “likes” which is down from 1,483 “likes” as of the 10/04/20 report.
Facebook Analytics – Angela Whaley (Angela absent): Page Views up/down _____%; Post Reach up/down by _____%; Post Engagement up/down ______%; Page Likes are up/down ______%; Page Followers: _______ up/down from_____.
Google Analytics Report: David reported that, in October 2020, there were 5,860 “Sessions” which is up 60% from October 2019 when it was 3,644. The most viewed article in October 2020 was a story regarding how Eddie VanHalen hacked his guitar (Eddie passed away in September).
Reminder – Our Facebook address is:
Songs on the COMBO Website Player for November 2020: Lee Bagby:1
● “Won’t You Stay” – Riley Jones
● “Rain or Shine” – Kerry Pastine and the Crime Scene
● “Let’s Never Break Up” – Andy Ard
● “You Will Never Have A Love Like Mine” – Steve Son
● “CoDependent” – A Vintage Future
COMBO YouTube Channel Uploads: None (although the October meeting was recorded and David will upload it as soon as Angela can send him the URL).
Ombudsman Program – Annette Cannon: Nothing to report.
Meeting Space Ideas: On hold for the time being. Barb drove by the Roxy on Broadway and they are definitely open. However, the government is thinking about imposing a shut down again due to the acceleration in coronavirus cases in Denver.
Designation for Funds: Nothing at this time.
Purchase of Promotional Merchandise Items: Barb picked up 100 face masks in black with the white COMBO logo. She is not happy with the quality of the masks but they were intended more for promotion anyway so they will do.
Promotion/Advertising: Facebook ads and face masks.
Girls & Science Expo: On hold until the pandemic is over. (This was a huge fund-raiser for the CO Museum of Science and History and not holding this has to be a big blow to the museum).
Posting on Facebook: Sheena posted a couple of articles.
14. Secretary: We still need a secretary! Minutes being taken by Barb again.
15. Board Member Bio’s – David & Sheena: Barb’s is up on Facebook.
16. Website Update. David still working on the “Members Only” section. Alex and Rob have been working with him to test the mechanism. Jamie and Sheena would also like to be included in the testing. David hopes to have it working by January 1, 2021.
17: Storage for COMBO Stuff: On hold. Barb still has it on her “To do” list! She had to buy a new car as hers got wrecked just after she returned from a trip.
18. COMBO Organization By-Laws: We approved changes to the first three sections. Barb read the following into the Minutes of November 1, 2020, per Roberts’ Rules of Order requirements. We did not discuss any of the clauses at this time.
Officers and Their Election
1. The officers of the corporation shall consist of a President, a Vice President, a Secretary, a Treasurer and such other officers as the Board may from time to time appoint, each of whom shall be elected by the Board of Directors. Any two or more offices may be held by the same person, except for the offices of President and Secretary. Such other officers and assistant officers as may be deemed necessary may be elected or appointed by the Board of Directors.
2. The officers of the corporation shall be elected annually by the Board of Directors at its annual meeting or as soon thereafter as may be practical. Each officer shall hold office for a term of one year, or until his or her successor shall have been elected or until his or her death, removal or resignation.
3. Any officer or agent may be removed by the Board of Directors whenever in its judgment the best interest of the corporation will be served thereby, but such removal shall be without prejudice to the contract rights, if any, of the person so removed. Election or appointment of an officer or agent shall not of itself create contract rights. A vacancy in any office because of death, resignation, removal, disqualification or otherwise, may be filed by the Board of Directors for the unexpired portion of the term.
4. The President shall be the chief executive officer of the corporation and shall in general supervise and control all of the business and affairs of the corporation. He or she shall preside at all meetings, sign documents for the corporation, including deeds, mortgages, bonds, contracts, or other instruments which the Board of Directors has authorized to be executed, except in cases where the signing and execution thereof shall be expressly delegated by the Board of Directors to some other officer or agent of the corporation or shall be required by law to be otherwise signed or executed; and in general shall perform all duties incident to the office of President and such other duties as may be prescribed by the Board of Directors from time to time.
5. If elected or appointed by the Board of Directors, a Vice President shall serve as aide to the President and act in the absence of the President and perform all duties of President in the event of the death of the President and when so acting shall have all the powers of and be subject to all of the restrictions upon the President. Any Vice President shall also perform such other duties as from time to time may be assigned by the President or by the Board of Directors.
6. The Secretary shall (a) keep the minutes of the proceedings of the general meetings and those of the Board of Directors; (b) see that all notices are duly given in accordance with the provisions of these Bylaws or as required by law; (c) be custodian of the corporate records and of the seal of the corporation; (d) keep a register of the addresses of each member; and (e) in general perform all duties incident to the office of Secretary and such other duties as from time to time may be assigned by the President or by the Board of Directors.
7. The Treasurer shall have charge and custody of and be responsible for all funds and securities of the corporation and shall conduct all banking in the name and on behalf of the corporation and in general perform all of the duties of the office of Treasurer and such other duties as from time to time may be assigned by the President or by the Board of Directors.
8. Assistant officers may be elected by the Board of Directors and shall perform such duties as are assigned to them by an officer or by the Board of Directors. If the Board of Directors shall so require any officer or agent of the corporation shall give bond to the corporation in such amount and with such surety as the Board of Directors may deem sufficient, conditioned upon the faithful performance of their respective duties and offices. The salaries of officers, if any, shall be fixed from time to time by the Board of Directors and no officer shall be prevented from receiving such salary by reason of the fact that he or she is also a Director of the corporation.
19. California Law on Sub-Contractors: While this is a California law, our DL&E is watching to see what happens and Colorado will probably follow their rules. Brittney Walker commented on this at the October 26th meeting.
20. Reopening of Bars, Clubs & Theaters: At this time, Gov. Polis is thinking of shutting these businesses down again due to the spike in coronavirus cases. More contact tracing is needed to figure out what is causing the virus rates to soar.
21. Songwriting Contest for 2021: Rob Roper volunteered to run the Songwriters Contest in 2021! We still need JUDGES!!!
22. Election of Board Directors and Officers for the Year 2021: Sheena moved to accept the current roster for the 2021 year, and Annette seconded. Motion passed. We will retain the same board and officers for the coming year.
New Business: Nothing new at this time.
1. Book, Movie, and Featured Member(s) for October 2020: Sheena sent a good press release for “Deadly Alliance” which Barb ran in the October 29th newsletter. We have several more but they need to be put into a “release” form and Barb is working on those.
2. October 26, 2020: Brittney Walker, Freya Accounting, talked about how to plan for your 2019 taxes since tax season is approaching. Brittney had some good ideas and answered a lot of questions. She also suggested that musicians get their own PCs, LLCs, or LLPs going in order to maximize your deductions. The meeting was over Zoom.
3. Folk Up The Vote event with Annette’s band, Gaia Rising at the Mercury on Friday, October 16th which will be broadcast via Zoom as well. Annette: The format had to be changed and the band was cancelled so Annette did not attend. She did say that reps from the ACLU encouraged people to register to vote in the upcoming election set for Nov. 3rd.
4. Colorado Springs Meeting: Tabled due to the coronavirus pandemic.
5. Denver Balanced Breakfast: No new update.
6. Denver Open Media Open Music Sessions: They will be officially moving next Friday, November 6th into the new building at 20th and Arapahoe. They are planning on walking from the current building at 7th & Santa Fe/Kalamath to the new building, holding “parties” along the way. They are still posting videos of previously taped bands’ performances. https://www.denveropenmedia.org/
7. Mental Wellness Discussion Group Meeting – Angela Whaley’s report: None.
Mental Wellness Meetup meets weekly every Monday, 6-7pm via Zoom.
8. Women’s Groups
a. She.E.O.: Last post Sept. 21st as reported in the Oct. 4th Minutes (checked the Facebook page on 10/29/20).
b. Women Crush Music: They have started “touring” in various cities around the U.S. via Zoom. A Denver “concert” was held Thursday, October 29th which Barb promoted in the newsletter. Last post October 9th promoting “New Music Fridays.”
c. Setting the Stage with Julie Gellar: No “live” or “Zoom” meetings being held since Julie is still in Israel for her husband’s job.
d. Mountain Mamas Music: Post on Oct. 20th advertising a Songwriting Masterclass mentored by Courtney Hoffman (of Della Mae) who will critique original songs by the members. Class limited to 10 spots, and to be held Nov. 1st (today). (Barb was unable to find the cost or time).
G. Items for Newsletters/Announcements: None.
Johnnie Johnson will be holding a Zoom show from the new DOM offices from 4-6 p.m. on November 7th. It was originally scheduled at the Mercury Café but the coronavirus rules forced that to be cancelled.
Next General Meeting: Monday, November 16th – 7:30 p.m. via Zoom.
Next Board Meeting: Sunday, December 6th, 2020 | 7:00 p.m. Zoom conference.
Meeting Adjourned at 8:21 p.m.
/s/ Barb Dye
Barb Dye, Acting Secretary