Colorado Music Business Organization Board of Directors Meeting
Sunday, August 1, 2021 – 7:00 p.m.
Called to Order at 7:04p.m.
Present: Barb Dye, David Barber, Johnnie Johnson, Sheena Morgan, Jamie Krutz, Annette Cannon, Tracey Chirhart
Absent: Clark Hagan, Angela Whaley
Guests: Tony Molina (TLoop)
Consideration and Approval of the Minutes of July 11, 2021: Sheena Morgan so moved, Annette Cannon seconded. Minutes from July 11, 2021 are approved.
Memberships $ 265.00 (See Membership Report)
Membership (cash/ck): $ 90.00 (Paul Noel Fiorino, EJ Bishiar)
Interest on Savings: $ .01 (July 2021)
Total: $ 355.01 (does NOT include Songwriting Contest)
Bank Fees for July: $ 2.00 (checking fees)
Paypal fees: $ 10.09 (See Membership Report)
Possibility Promotion: $ 34.00 (renewal of domain registrations)
Zoom account: $ 16.30
Mailchimp for July: $ 31.95
Total: $ 94.34
Checking Balance: $ 1,374.06 (as of 7/31/21)
Savings Balance: $ 1,503.26 (as of 7/31/21)
PayPal Balance: $ 661.16 (as of 8/01//21)
Grand Total: $ 3,538.48
David transferred $500 from Paypal to savings which Barb then put into checking.
Current Paid Members: 54 (41 individual, 3 businesses, 9 bands, and 1 Supporter)
Renewed Members in July:
Individuals: Kelly Triplett, EJ Bisair (Eddie Spaghetti), Robert Hojaboom, Paul Noel Fiorino, JR Droddy
Band: Cass Clayton (Grandfathered)
New Members July:
Individuals: Barbara “Jeannie” Hartley, Sharon Glassman, Tyler Hayden, John Bunzil
Band(s): Dear Marsha (Wendy Alfredson);
Up for Renewal in August: Rob Roper, Jim Seely, Tom Chelston, Norma Pfaff, Scott Fizke, Carolyn Shulman, Jim Ratts –
David Barber moved that Rob Roper’s membership should be comped by COMBO for his work on the songwriting contest, Sheena Morgan seconded. Motion is approved.
Membership “Welcome Surveys”: Sheena reported that we received 3 surveys in July.
Bar code requests: None
Tony & Sheena – Streaming Services on Spotify. Group of members workshop or seminar – maybe October Songwriting Showcase in November, December meetup
a.September 27, 2021: We discussed musicians unions and having Ann Blonston of AirShow Mastering talk on SoundExchange which is the only authorized entity in the U.S. allowed to collect royalties for “recorded” music including royalties from streaming services. (ASCAP, BMI & SESAC collect “performance” royalties). Barb management workshop for September as backup. Do meeting on Zoom. We get more people from beyond Denver attend meeting.
Other suggestions: Sheena – Broader marketing program. David suggested Aimee Giese doing a program on social media (musicians tip jar) (podcast).
Jamie suggested a program on Tixr– ticketing, merch for bands, other services for bands. May dovetail into online ticketing, livestreaming, monetizing livestreaming for artists. Jamie has two people willing to talk. Tixris based in Colorado.
Brief discussion of God’s immunity – Eddie Spaghetti. Had COVID and thought he was immune.
b. Potential programs: Jamie would like to do a Part 2 of the “How to Make An Affordable Music Video”. Make an in-person event. He went to a lot of trouble to make up a slide show but, due to time constraints, was not able to delve into each subject listed. This might be a good subject for a workshop or a seminar as well. Still on the list: Barb’s Artist Management program. Other ideas: Sheena said that, in planning for future meetings within a quarter (3 months), we have 2 general meetings, and 1 workshop. Work with music businesses including asking them to sponsor meetings, or partner with them. Barb stressed to be mindful of IRS rules re teaching business of music. As a 501(c)(6) COMBO can work with for profit music businesses. Discussion of Soundtown as a possible meeting place and business partner. There is an outside space for meetings as well as a small stage inside. Soundtown is a “go to” business. Community building: Bands help each other, make connections.
3. Web Reports – David (as of 8/01/21):
Current Email Subscribers: COMBO has 2486 subscribers which is down from the 2,500 reported at the 7/11/21 Board Meeting. As of the 7/29/21 newsletter, we had 10% opens and 3% click thrus.
Twitter Account Followers: COMBO has 7642 followers which is up from 7,633 followers from the 7/11/21 report.
Facebook Account Activity: COMBO has a total 1534 “likes” which is up from 1527 “likes” from the 7/11/21 report.
Google Analytics Report: In July 2021 there were 7119 sessions, which is up 58% from July 2020 when we had 4518 sessions. The most viewed article this month was:/surfside-condo-collapse-additional-victim-identified-as-live-nation-executive/ which had 1046 views followed closely by /meet-the-instagram-influencer-who-faked-a-coachella-trip-2/ with 928 views. Most of this was referred from Newsbreak app
Discussion of making a COMBO App – Annette & TLoop; Jamie on bookmarking website.
Facebook Analytics – David: Page Views: 33, down 23%; Post Reach: 923, down by 67%; Post Engagement: 137, up 22%; Page Likes: 4, down 43%. Page Followers: 4, down 50%.
Discussion of linking FB articles. Jamie wants to streamline links to newsletter and website. Barb talks about how she forms newsletters. Linkedin account as something to follow. Sheena wants to record and follow in the future.
Reminder – Our Facebook address is:
4. Songs on the COMBO Spotify Play List for August 2021 – T Loop: Tony wants a member list to make a Spotify list.
5. COMBO Members Only Video Uploads – David: No new ones.
6. Ombudsman Program – Annette Cannon: Nothing to report. Annette has been spreading some outreach to musicians she meets.
7. Meeting Space Ideas: Irish Snug, Roxy on Broadway, The Filling Station, Soundtown, Illegal Pete’s.
8. Designation for Funds: Nothing important pending. Scholarships as a possibility in the future.
9. Purchase of Promotional Merchandise Items: Need inventory for guitar show on picks and business cards. Inventory for Guitar Show.
10. Promotion/Advertising: Facebook ads for July – none.
11. Posting on Facebook: Sheena posted articles on:
The Misconception Is That NFTs Are Like A Get Rich Quick Scheme. That’s Not Really How It Works
Could This Technology, Built By A Grammy-Wining Producer, Blow Up Music’s ‘Black Box’ Once and For All?
12. Board Member Bio’s – David & Sheena: Start posting bios in September.
13. Storage for COMBO Stuff: Tabled.
14. COMBO Organization By-Laws:
Standing and Special Committees
1. The Board of Directors may create such standing committees as it may deem necessary to promote the purposes and carry on the work of the corporation. The term of each chair of such committees shall be one year or until the election and qualification of his or her successor.
2. The chair of each committee shall present a plan of work at each board meeting or whenever requested by an officer. No committee work shall be undertaken without the consent of the Board of Directors.
3. The power to form special committees and appoint their members rests with the Board of Directors. The President shall be a member ex officio of all committees.
Discussion: May want to add a clause about committees running fund-raising events using COMBO’s not-for-profit license and sharing the profits. Tabled for now.
15. Songwriting Contest for 2021: Started May 1st; ends tonight at 11:59.
Income so far: 75 entries – ? paid entries –?_members – 3 more from Steve Son. Rob will convert and have them ready tomorrow. Sheena will send to judges. Dave will split out later. Count Steve Son once he gives money. Disqualify if he doesn’t pay. Clark submitted song for a client with his name as songwriter. Has Clark resigned Board? Barb will talk to Clark. David will have a full accounting of number of entries for September meeting.
16. Vintage Voltage Expo / Guitar Show / Antique Radio Collectors Show: To be held at the Delta by Marriott at 120th & I-25 on Sunday, September 12th. We need volunteers to work this show. So far we have Jamie, Barb, and Mark King. Barb mailed a check to Duane for the entry fee. Barb to send $50.
17. New Board Member: Tloop’s third meeting. Can be judge for songwriting contest. Sheena Morgan moves that Tony be made a Board Member. Annette Cannon seconds. Tony Molina (Tloop) is approved as a COMBO Board Member.
18. Intern: Sheena would like one. Barb with the newsletter. Johnnie gigs. Talk with Storm Gloor. Barb will contact him.
19. Goals: David & Sheena: Update: Sheena talked about having a Board meeting in November to focus on our goals for 2022 – a “Board Retreat”. She has access to WeWork in Cherry Creek. Could also focus on branding. Plan for 2022. Maybe work with Annette to plan. Maybe take place in place of during normal board meeting time – November 7.
a. Clark Hagen – Is Clark a COMBO Board Member is good standing. If so, he can’t enter song contest. There has been a lack of communication as to what he is doing for COMBO. Barb will contact him.
1. Book, Movie, and Featured Member(s) for August 2021: Book:
Movie: “Respect” – movie starring Jennifer Hudson as Aretha Franklin. Barb will decide on a date when the theatres start showing it. No featured member.
Featured Members: Still on hold.
2. July 2021: Barb held a “Night at the Movies With Barb.” The first one was “Summer of Soul (…Or, When the Revolution Could Not Be Televised).” Report: Barb went to the Esquire Theatre and saw Summer of Soul which was a marvelous documentary about 6 concerts held in Harlem in the summer of 1969. The concerts were filmed but Hal Tulchin could not find a “buyer” so the films lay dormant until 2017 when Hal died. Someone mentioned the films to Ahmir “Questlove” Thompson who decided to do something with them. The result is a fantastic short history of Black people and their music in America. Barb liked the movie so much she went to see it a second time!
3. Social to Meet the Board of COMBO was held on Monday, July 26th at 6:00 p.m. at Illegal Pete’s on Colfax and Race which has a large patio area and plenty of parking available. Attendees purchased their own food & drink. Meeting lasted until 9:00. Title for the meeting: “Burritos and the Board.” Attendees were (from the board) Barb, David, Annette, Alex, Sheena & Tony. Others were Doug Bohm, Rod Tanaka, Paul Fiorino, Eddie Bishiar, Jeffrey & Sa Marshall, Julie Mascilli, Venus Cruz, and Robert Vance. Rod “voted” to do this again in August! Maybe Board Members should have lanyards with Name tags.
4. Denver Balanced Breakfast: No update
5. Denver Open Media: No update.
6. Mental Wellness Discussion Group Meeting – Angela Whaley’s report: The group is meeting on the 1st & 3rd Mondays of the month, and is open to the public. Everyone is invited to attend. 6-7 pm via Zoom.
7. Women’s Groups: Tabled.
Items for Newsletters/Announcements:
Next General Meeting: Unless decided otherwise, Monday, September 27th, 2021. Zoom. 7:00 p.m. Program Committee will decide about August meeting.
Next Board Meeting: Monday, September 13th, 7:00 p.m. – Zoom. (The first Sunday of September is the 5th which is also Labor Day Weekend). Same weekend as guitar show.
Meeting Adjourned at 8:52 p.m.
/s/ Alex Teitz
Alex Teitz, Secretary