Colorado Music Business Organization Board of Directors Meeting
Monday, April 4, 2022 – 7:00 p.m.
- Called to Order at 7:12 p.m. (Note: Meeting moved to Monday due to the Grammys being on our normal Sunday night schedule).
Present: Alex Teitz, David Barber, Annette Cannon, Johnnie Johnson, Tony Molina
Absent: Barb Dye (Excused) Maurice Avatar (Excused) Tracey Chirhart, Jamie Krutz (excused)
Consultants: Clark Hagan, Angela Whaley (neither in attendance)
- Approval of the Minutes of March 6, 2022: David Barber so moved, Annette Cannon seconded. Approved (with minor corrections).
- Treasurer’s Report:
Memberships (Paypal) $ 115.00 (See Membership Report)
Interest on Savings: $ .01(March 2022)
Total: $ 115.01
Expenses paid (Ck = check; PP = Paypal; BW = bank withdrawal, checking acct.):
Bank Fees for March: $ 2.00 (checking fees)
Paypal fees (PP): $ 4.75 (See Membership Report)
Facebook (PP): $ 20.47 (ads for March meeting)
Guitar Show $ 100.00 (for expenses – was this spent?)
Zoom acct. for March (PP): $ 16.30
Mailchimp for March (PP): $ 33.00
Total: $ 176.52 + 70-80
Checking Balance: $ 1,194.21 (as of 3/31/22)
Savings Balance: $ 703.35 (as of 3/31/22)
PayPal Balance: $ 681.93 (as of 4/01/22)
Grand Total: $ 2,579.49
Has Google started charging us yet? Not as of April 1
D. Membership Report:
Current Paid Members: 50 (31 individuals, 5 businesses, 13 bands, and 1 Supporter)
Renewed Members in March:
New Members in March:
Individual: Joseph “Joe” Mazza, Jay Stott
Band(s): Angus Mohr
Up for Renewal in April:
Membership “Welcome Surveys”: 3
E. Unfinished Business:
- Bar Code requests: None
- Upcoming Programs:
a. April 25, 2022: The Program Committee decided on Songwriting Contest Kickoff. Looking for a venue for IRL show. Tony said he would ask at Lost Lake, Your Mom’s House and Broadway Roxy. Tony will ask for both dates of April 25 and May 23.
Suggestions for other meetings (list by Alex)
– Legal Pitfalls in the Digital Space – more lawyers
– Music Publishing/ Licensing
– How to Make Money in the Music Biz
– Reasons Why It’s Called a Music Business
– Booking People not Festival Booking
– Mental Health – Would we ever hear from Angela?
– Going International – International booking, airplay
– TV/YouTube – Channel 12 & Headroom Sessions come to mind. They could also answer how to put live music on YouTube and not be taken down
– Youth on Record/ UMS
– Barb’s Management Workshop
– Jamie’s Video Workshop
– Publicity/ Marketing
– Music Production – Anna – Airshow
– Press – maybe invite Westword’s new Culture Editor
– Going Environmental
– Social Responsibility
– Solar Sound Systems – https://www.artsandvenuesdenver.com/events/detail/solar-powered-sound-systems-for-beginners-workshop
b. Monday, May 23, 2022: (Memorial Day is 5/30/22) Program TBD.
c. June 2022: TBD (The 2021 informal gathering at Illegal Pete’s went over well!)
d. July 2022: TBD
3. Web & Social Media Reports – David Barber (as of 4/02/22):
- Current Email Subscribers: COMBO has 2424 subscribers which is down from the 2,439 reported at the last Board Meeting. As of the 3/31/22 newsletter, we had 26% opens and 2% click thrus. This is down probably due to fewer articles in the newsletter during Barb’s absence.
- Twitter Account Followers: COMBO has 7,640followers which is unchanged from 7,640 followers from the last report.
- Facebook Analytics: Page Views: 50, up 14%; Post Reach: 3678, up 61%; Post Engagement: 206, up 30%; Page Likes: 8, down 11%; Page Followers: 9 unchanged from last month.
Reminder – Our Facebook address is:
- LinkedIn: 129, 1 new follower
- Google Analytics Report: In March 2022 there were 4076sessions, which is up 2.6% from March 2021 when we had 3973sessions. The most view article in February was /levitt-pavilion-denver-announces-first-wave-of-2022-free-concerts/ with 283 views
4. Ombudsman Program – Annette Cannon: Nothing.
5. Promotion/Advertising: Facebook ad for March meeting $20. Annette also put notes for the meeting out on several Facebook groups’ pages. David shared same to about 6 FB groups.
6. COMBO Organization By-Laws:
Office and Books & Records/Seal
1. The registered office of the corporation, required by the Colorado Corporation Code to be maintained in the State of Colorado, may be, but need not be, identical with the principal office of the State of Colorado, and the address of the registered office may be changed from time to time by the Board of Directors.
2. The principal office of the corporation in the State of Colorado shall be initially located at 1116 East 13th Avenue, Denver, Colorado 80218, and thereafter at such place as the Board of Directors may from time to time determine. The corporation may have such other offices, either within or without the State of Colorado, as the Board of Directors may designate or as the business of the corporation may require from time to time.
3. There shall be kept at the office of the corporation correct books of account of the activities and transactions of the corporation, including a minute book which shall contain a copy of the Articles of Incorporation, a copy of these bylaws, and all minutes of meetings. ADD? All records may also be kept by any electronic means available.
4. DELETE? A seal for the corporation may be adopted and obtained at any time. In such event, the Board of Directors shall provide a corporate seal which shall be circular in form and shall have inscribed thereon the name of the corporation, the State of Colorado, and the words “CORPORATE SEAL”.
Vote on this tonight: Approved. #3 addition approved; #4 will be deleted.
* * * *
7. Potential New Board Member: Maurice Avatar was excused tonight.
8. Membership Chairman: Barb is on vacation. David will send out Membership renewal reminders to all the members who haven’t renewed between Jan. 1 and April 1, 2022.
9. Destruction of Old Records: Barb scanned a bunch of bank records and receipts & bills and then shredded them. Note that many of the records were saved electronically so we should have copies of them somewhere.
F. New Business
1. Five Points Jazz Festival – Do we want to run a booth there again? Barb will have to check into the cost, etc.June 4, 2022. Annette received an e-mail about buying a booth.
2. Grammy Watching Party for 2023: Karen Gerdine called to ask if we were holding a GWP this year. She moved to Arizona but was going to be in Denver at this time. She would like to plan on holding a big(ger) shindig next year with sponsors, drawing prizes, etc., and would be willing to put it together as she is planning on moving back to Denver. 3 people asked Annette about a GWP. Discussion: None.
3. Tony – COMBO artist performance night at the Roxy on Broadway. Tony will be booking it. What artists to perform? Open stage with COMBO Member showcase.
4. Discussion of Hypnautic and app again: David will contact him after app is officially launched.
1. The Guitar Show/Vintage Voltage Expo was Sunday, March 20th. Volunteers working the booth were Annette and Tracey. It was a combined Expo at the Delta by Marriott Hotel & Convention Center at 120th & I-25, starting at 10:00 a.m. and open until 4:00 p.m. Cost: $5 per person, kids under 12 free. Tracey & Barb met and Tracey picked up the display stuff.
Annette commented that the material from COMBO must updated. What do we offer? How do we connect? 70% in boxes. COMBO material needs to be organized better in clear tubs, or labeled boxes.
Annette said about 1000 people attended. Duane Evarts ran the Guitar Show side of the event and might be a good speaker for COMBO. (Dana Cain was actually the CEO of the event). Tracey videotaped a lot of it, and Annette has posted info on FB. We met some wonderful people! https://www.facebook.com/events/1894088934123608/
2. Monday, March 28, 2022: The Program was on the topic of “Can You Make Money From Music NFTs? Confirmed panelists were Michael St. James and Travis Vermilye (UCD). Lots of great info. Jamie did an excellent job! Michael St James was a fountain of knowledge. Baseball card analogy. Michael St James made a PDF with info for us, which is now online with the video, in the Members Only section. Attendees (via Zoom): 16
If we make a crypto wallet for COMBO we could accept payment in that form. It’s not free. He also made pages for us to accept crypto that can be transferred to our wallet, if we want to do that.
3. The 64th Grammys Award Show was held Sunday, April 3rd: Discussion before meeting with Johnnie, Annette, Dave and Alex about watching some of it.
I. Next General Meeting: Monday, April 25th at 7:00 p.m. Program on Songwriters Contest Intro. Tony checking on venues. [Note sign in time of 6:50 p.m.!]
J. Next Board Meeting: Sunday, May 1stat 7:00 p.m. Sign in time 6:50 p.m. via Zoom.
K. Meeting Adjourned at 8:19 p.m.
/s/ Alex Teitz
Alex Teitz, Secretary